Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Random Thoughts

 Today I could not help but feeling... OUT NUMBERED. 

I often tell my friends with only one child that when you have a second it's not just twice as busy, crazy, hard, overwhelming, it's ten times that. It's funny how one tiny little addition can make such a huge difference. 

Dental school, oh dental school. I just have to say Curt is amazing! I am so proud of him. I am just so amazed at his dedication and his ability to do everything he is doing. He balances EVERYTHING so perfectly it could be considered a circus act. That being said, AAAHHHAHAHAH!! Some times I feel like a single parent. When he is gone all day and then has to study all night, for the fourth night in a row, I fight to keep it together by the end of the day. But somehow we always make it! (It could be due to the multiple prayers said as I close my eyes and take a few deep breaths throughout the day.)

I LOVE the noises my little Andrew makes as he sleeps. He is kind of a noisy little guy. I always feel a little embarrassed in the mothers room at church because all the other babies are quietly eating away under their pretty little nursing covers. Then there is my little Andrew slurping away and waving his arms vigorously about while I am trying to stay somewhat covered. At least it sounds yummy.

Claire is being her usual busy body self. She is such a sweet little girl and FULL of life.Sometimes we call her Destructicon and the title fits nicely. She loves being outside, and is the luckiest girl to have a fun play-set in her backyard. It's the first thing she wants to do when she wakes up. We are so happy Claire is now in nursery. We can actually pay attention in Church!

ROOM TO RUN!  


We have moved into a HOUSE! I am so excited I can't stand it!!  It is in the best neighborhood with parks and pools and tennis courts. We love our new ward and have made lots of wonderful new friends so fast. We have also made lots of new friends at the library and other random places.


I am not sure if you have ever felt this but, have you ever been happy to be where you are but you feel like there is a better place you could be. I felt like that for the past year. Now that we have moved I am SO HAPPY and I know we are where we are supposed to be. (at least until the end of dental school) I will hopefully get pictures of our house up soon. It has taken FOREVER to unpack! I blame that on two kids and the fact that I would way rather be outside enjoying our amazing weather or doing something fun. Unpacking is not my idea of fun.


PLAY GROUPS, PLAY DATES, MOMMY-HOOD and other things I am learning.


The other day while I was at a play group in the park I was pushing Claire in a swing and another mom was next to us pushing her little girl. We started talking the usual "get to know" talk and randomly without thinking too much about it I asked her what she likes to do. I got the most dumbfounded look in return. After tripping over her words and not really getting much of an answer I realized mommies don't ask other mommies that question. Ever since I became a mom I have never been asked that question and well I have never really asked another young mom that question. Why is that?


I think it is mostly because we don't have time! Most of the mothers I have been around since becoming a mother are all wives of husbands in dental or medical school or they themselves are getting a post graduate degree of some sort. Now all the friends I am making in our new place their husbands are in some sort of extended residency program or they are starting their career. That on top of being a mother. WHO HAS TIME! 


But I became more thoughtful about that question. I myself finally have been taking some time to do the things that once made me happy. Don't get that wrong I am happy I just haven't done anything that really defines me and what I love. It is easy to forget what you like to do when you are so busy doing things for everyone else.


I have talked with a few friends since then about that question and it has been so fun opening up that world of wonder to other moms. It really has been too long. 


That being said,


WHAT MAKES YOU HAPPY?

For my birthday Curt took me zip lining in the Hill Country of Texas. That was the best gift he could have given me. I don't really like gifts. They make me uncomfortable and feel awkward. That made me HAPPY!

Last week in between studying and dinner Curt came outside and threw the football with me. That was the BEST and it made me SO HAPPY. 

HELLO RUNNING MY OLD FRIEND... a long lost love of mine has returned. There was always something about running that made me happy. I have re-found that love now that I have some open air and space to run. I am much much happier when I get to run outside. 

One day a long time ago I was hiking with my dad. Well, we started out on our bikes and, comically something happened to both of our bikes and they were unrideable so we ditched them in the tall grass on the side of the trail and continued on foot.  We hiked almost all day cutting through a river that crossed paths with our trail at least twenty times. On our way back down the trail my dad looked at me with my muddy boots and a silly grin on my face and said to me, "you really do love this don't you!"  It was more of a statement than a question. He could tell that I was having the time of my life. I still answered him with a "YES I LOVE THIS!" 

I am learning that it is so hard to find time to do those things that I love but I am so happy when I do.

Strength in numbers. 

I feel so blessed to have met so many other women who are experiencing some of the same things I am right now. I find a sense of peace in my chaos knowing that someone else is in the middle of their very own chaos. I love that I have come to accept that play dates, play groups, library trips, Relief Society, and just a good one on one conversation with another woman is what will get me through. 

I know like I said RANDOM.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great post! Having children definitely changes a womens world...and schedule. It is important to find time to do the things we loved and did often before kids...even if it is for 15 minutes. It can be so rejuvenating!

Great Basin Cowgirl said...

Thanks for these thoughts, Julz. I so very miss our talks with one another, so it's wonderful to hear more about what is going on in your world. While being a mother & wife is the greatest responsibility and gift anyone could ask for, it IS important to have things that rejuvenate us.... it only helps us become better at the former. I love you!

It all began here said...

Julie, thank you for this wonderful post. I enjoyed getting a little peek into your world. Being a mom is hard.... and learning that you need to find time for your self is so important. Unfortunately, I didn't learn that lesson for a very long time. Once I learned to take some time to myself, and not feel guilty for leaving my kids, I was a much better momma.

How lucky your kids are to have YOU for the momma!

Love You Julie!

Rachel said...

I love your blog, Julie! First of all--I am so glad I have found another country fan. Believe it or not, I feel like I don't come across a ton of them, even in Texas.

Second, I have totally gotten that SAME blank look when I ask fellow moms about what they like to do for fun. I'm glad you posted about that. I think it's so important to take out some time for YOU...even if it's only 30 minutes in a day or something. :P --Rachel

R and A Brannock Fam said...

Great thoughts! Thanks for your friendship and having us over the other night. You guys are a beautiful family! :)

Coretta from Confetti said...

Agreed. Motherhood takes a lot of time and energy. Then add a successful marriage, work, schooling, moves, new babies... Whatever your case may be and it gets a bit nutty. However in it all, you have to remember who you are as an individual. I have four kids now and the last is a newborn and we just moved across the country... But I still know what I like to do. I have found that taking that time to express yourself, take some hobby time and learn and grow on your own is so valuable! I know what I like to do and I do it. It may not be in large streches of time, but it happens and I am a better wife and mother for it.
Carry on!

Bubbles